The Academy administers several science prizes
The Abel Prize
The Abel Prize is an international prize for outstanding scientific work in the field of mathematics. In addition to honoring outstanding mathematicians, the Abel Prize shall contribute towards raising the status of mathematics in society and stimulating the interest of children and young people in mathematics.
The Kavli Prize
Every second year the Kavli Prize is awarded to outstanding scientists for their seminal advances in nanoscience, astrophysics and neuroscience – the smallest, the biggest and the most complex.
The Kavli Prize is a partnership between
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- The Kavli Foundation (US)
- The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research
The laureates receive a gold medal, a diploma and USD 1,000,000 in each of the scientific fields.
In addition the Academy is also responsible for:
- The Academy Teacher of the year prize
- The Fridtjof Nansen reward for outstanding research